Every employer wants team players onboard. You know – those individuals who place team goals and accountability higher than their personal agenda. Whether you work alone or in a group; frontline or behind the scenes; cultivating a personal team-player attitude is essential to your career growth and success. Here are ten of the top skills/attitudes/traits that define a true team player.
- Communicator: Consistently sharing essential information with each player – and doing it clearly and concisely. When everyone knows what they need to know, everything runs smoother
- Active Listener: The second half of communication. Teamwork depends on players who listen, taking the time to understand and consider various points of view – without debating every point.
- Avoids Negativity: Stops gossip before it gets a foothold and focuses on the positive angle. If there is an issue – they deal with it face-to-face with tact and honesty.
- Trust Builder: Consistently reliable, assessable, and adaptable – a player the team can depend on when things go right and when they go wrong.
- Appreciates Diversity: Recognizing that different ideas, methods, cultures, etc. blend to make a better, more complete big picture.
- Willing Worker: Accepts assignments and follows through until the end – even when they “drew the short straw.”
- Passionate Participator: A self-motivated player with a “can-do” attitude who makes it happen.
- Flexible: A player who calmly adapts to changes – even the unexpected.
- Deadline Respecter: The guy/gal who finished their responsibilities on time – or early, recognizing that each person’s work affects the rest of the team.
- Gives/Receives Praise: Takes the time to recognize and appreciate the accomplishments of others as well as receiving accolades with grace.
Feeling overwhelmed? Relax – you probably already shine on a few of these points. Pick out your weak areas and work on one or two at a time, adding more as you grow. Before long you will gain the reputation of a great team player – just the candidate that our clients are seeking. Contact Olympic Staffing today – we’ll match your team playing skills with a job where you can thrive.